Pohnpei { Day Two }

Good Morning!
 

We woke early with a plan to join the friends in the ministry. Not early enough, however. I didn't even get coffee! Somehow I survived.

We had two very interesting experiences. The first person we talked to was a local man, albeit very westernized.  We'll call him Mr. X.  He was on his way out so I asked if I could share just one verse with him from the Bible. He said "No thanks! If I want it I'll come find you."  We've heard this response before. Translation: "Not interested! Please go away." So we moved onto the next door.

The next person we talked to was a professor at the College of Micronesia. He was a very gentle, well-spoken man from West Africa. He kindly invited us in. We traded stories. He told us about his brothers, how long he'd been on Pohnpei, and that he reads Psalm 23 each morning and night. He asked me to read it. It is probably familiar to you, "Jehovah is my Shepherd. I shall lack nothing. In grassy pastures he makes me lie down..." It goes on for six verses. We also discussed Jehovah God's promise for a world without badness in Psalm 37. He was quite pleasant and invited us to return. We saw him several times walking in town but didn't get back to see him again.

As for Mr. X, we saw him everywhere. It was like he was following us or we were following him. We would walk into a restaurant and there he would be. Or we'd be sitting having lunch and he'd walk in. It was quite funny! Aaron asked him once, "Where you going next?". He said, "It doesn't matter. I'll see you there!". Even on our last day, while we waited for our shuttle to the airport, he walked into the Long House at The Village. Who knows, maybe we'll see him again some day!



This Kingdom Hall was build by the local congregation and the same team that helped the South Guam congregation build theirs. They've traveled through the islands over the last few years working on one project after another. Right now they are all on Guam awaiting their next project in Palau. They leave soon!



After the ministry we went shopping! Shopping in Pohnpei is minimal but there are a few things to be bought. Stores carry local handicrafts — woodcarvings, woven baskets and wall hangings, jewelry, and the island’s traditional skirts, as well as Pohnpei pepper and coconut body products.  

The photos above are taken in a village known for their carvings.


We stopped off at a Haruko's place for some refreshments. You'll get to meet her later. This is her view to the left and to the right (above).


Back at The Village. The Gazebo (above). The Long House (below).
They attach their menus to old ceiling fan blades (bottom left). It's what we call re-purposing!




The view ain't bad!




Comments

  1. The view ain't bad, in fact, it is very lovely. How fun to go in the ministry there. Funny about the man you kept running into. The shopping sounds interesting and unique. Fun experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stalking Mr. X... too funny. I was hoping you were going to tell us he eventually had a question for you! Maybe next time....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya I'm with Amanda,that's what I was thinking. How beautiful is Jehovah's creation!!! You think you've seen it all and it just keeps getting better :) Just wait till the New World :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy that you are able to have such wonderful experiences. You both look great and so happy! We know this is part of the blessings received while putting Jehovah first! Much love sent to you from the Buchheits!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Negative or inappropriate comments will not be posted. Thank you!