Pickles don't grow on trees!

Flora of Guam

They do on Guam! The Pickle Tree (a.k.a. averrhoa bilimbi), with its delicate oval leaves, produces very small pickle-like fruits that grow directly on the trunk and branches. Before it puts on fruit, red flowers bloom (although I've only seen this in photos). The fruit, in its unripe stage, is bright green, crispy and sour. It turns yellowish as it ripens. The flesh is juicy, green and acidic. The taste and texture is similar to its relative, the star fruit.



Two out of two tasters agree, "It's sour!"

Following an afternoon at the beach, Kina came over for dinner.
Kina is a recent addition to our 'family of friends'.

Comments

  1. That does not look very tasty, but it looks neat on the tree.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm thinking I won't try it:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So in Guam, if you are "in a pickle" you are "up a tree". LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Always something new...so much variety. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. When I was was younger. Me and my friends would dip the sour pickle in soy sauce mixed with salt. So bad for you haha. But we thought it was really good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this is called 'Sour Batch' in the North~East part of Jamaica. I never knew the tree or fruit but my almost 2 year old insisted on picking and eating them every day before I could stop her, so I checked with a local who told me they used to eat them as a small schoolchild.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We had a tree in the backyard. As kids, we would take a few and eat with salt and Kool aid. It's also really good to add when making fish soup. Kamiyas is what we called it

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Negative or inappropriate comments will not be posted. Thank you!